Talking About Self-Care: What Helps You Feel Better (Beauty and Otherwise)?

 Oh, my goodness, friend! I had a five-hour meeting today, and although it was very interesting (I learned so much about marketing and branding, which was cool), I am SPENT.

After my meeting ended, I started thinking about what I wanted to do this evening to give myself some TLC, and this led me to thinking about self-care, and what it means and the different forms it can take.

For me, self-care sometimes is an occasional spa day, but that typically only happens once or twice a year. Those rare deep tissue massages or facials are lovely, but they’re not enough to refill my well.

When I need physical or mental rest, self-care for me usually means giving myself the space to do absolutely nothing (this is REALLY difficult for me, as I’m a recovering workaholic). Then, I cover the basics in some form, which usually means…

  • Eating things that make me feel good. Usually some combination of veggies and/or fruit that isn’t too processed. Drinking lots of water helps, too, as well as not overdoing it with the coffee.
  • Moving my body in some way. Even just 20 minutes of stretching helps.
  • Getting enough sleep. This is a challenge for me. Sometimes I just want that extra downtime with Netflix because it turns my brain off, ya know?

Sometimes self-care comes in other forms.

For example, about a month ago, El Hub and Connor went to a father-daughter dance at school, and I had a Friday evening all to myself. Even though I could’ve easily vegged out on the couch, I took myself out for a “me time” date! I went window shopping at Nordstrom Rack and then treated myself to frozen yogurt afterwards.

Other times it’s connecting with someone whom I haven’t seen or spoken to in a while. Or re-watching a movie while doing beauty upkeep. Never underestimate the power of painted nails, an at-home wax and brow trim, and watching “Sense and Sensibility” for the ga-zillionth time.

Comments